How Do I Terminate Coverage?
Terminating Coverage in SHP
Important! If you have dependents enrolled in SHP, terminating your student coverage will also end the coverage for your dependents.
Generally, students already enrolled in SHP may terminate coverage for the following reasons:
- Your registration status has changed, and SHP coverage is no longer required by university policy.
- You have coverage which meets university requirements and would be eligible to waive, but your waiver period has ended.
Terminating Due to Changes in Registration Status
There is no fee for terminating coverage due to changes in your registration status, however you must request termination in order to receive any refund of your premium, regardless of your funding status.
- If you are taking a leave of absence and request a termination of coverage, your coverage will end on the last day of the month in which your request to terminate is submitted through Gallagher Student Health or during which your leave is effective, whichever is later.
- If you are withdrawing from the university and request a termination of coverage, your coverage will end on the last day of the month in which your request to terminate is submitted through Gallagher Student Health or during which your withdrawal is effective, whichever is later.
- If you are entering the armed forces, your coverage will end as of the date of your military entry.
Terminating Because You Have Other Coverage
If the applicable waiver period has passed and you would like to terminate coverage because you have other insurance which meets university requirements and you would otherwise be eligible to waive SHP coverage, you may request a termination of coverage.
Your coverage will end on the last day of the month in which you submit your termination request to Gallagher Student Health or on the date your new coverage is active, whichever is later. You will be responsible for the pro-rated premium based on the coverage end date and charged a cancellation fee of $110.
To Request Termination of Coverage
- Log in to Gallagher Student Health using your Cornell NetID and password.
- In "Account Details" under "Plan Summary," click the "Terminate Coverage" link.
- Complete the termination form, choosing your appropriate termination reason.
- Some selections, like "alternate coverage," will prompt you to provide alternate insurance information.
- Submit the form.
If your request to terminate coverage is made before April 30th of the plan year and is approved, you will receive a refund for any unused months of coverage for which you have already paid, minus a termination fee if applicable. No refunds will be provided if the request to terminate is made after April 30th.
Denial of Request
The following are reasons we may deny or rescind approval for your termination request:
- Your change in registration status cannot be verified,
- Your alternate coverage cannot be confirmed,
- Your alternate coverage does not meet university requirements,
- You are not eligible to terminate coverage,
- Your plan has paid for claims during the month(s) of coverage you wish to cancel.
If your request to terminate coverage is denied, your enrollment in SHP will continue until the end of the plan year or until the period for which coverage has already been paid ends, as applicable, and no refund will be provided. See our leave of absence page for more information. If you believe your request was denied in error, please email Gallagher Student Health to begin the appeal process.