Waive or Cancel SHP
All Cornell students* must either enroll in SHP or, if eligible to waive coverage, show that they have alternate health insurance coverage which meets university requirements. (Students who are eligible for New York State Medicaid also have the option to enroll in SHP Plus.)
If you are eligible to waive and wish to do so, your health insurance must:
- Be provided by a government agency, broker, or company licensed to do business in the United States, underwritten in the US, and have a claims payment office within the US with a US phone number.
- Not have an annual or lifetime limit on essential health benefits (as defined by the ACA).
- Be in force for the duration of the academic year, or until the end of your program.
- Provide “federal bronze level” 40% coinsurance (meaning the plan pays 60%) or better coverage for health care at the campus location where the student is attending school.
- Include coverage for:
- Inpatient Care,
- Emergency Care,
- Urgent Care,
- Specialist Care,
- Diagnostic Imaging and Testing,
- Outpatient Mental Health Care.
The following are examples of plans which do NOT meet Cornell’s Requirements:
- Medicaid Plans which do not provide the above benefits in the location where the student is attending school.
- Medicaid plans from states other than New York do not provide adequate coverage;
- For students at the Ithaca campus, the ONLY Medicaid Managed Care plans which provide adequate coverage are Fidelis Care and Molina. (See below for more info.)
- Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) plans without coverage where the student is attending school or an “away from home” rider.
- Catastrophic ("young invincible") plans.
Special Considerations For:
Ithaca Campus Students
The Cayuga Health System runs the only hospital provider in Ithaca as well as many primary and specialty providers in the area. Cayuga Health does not participate with some common health insurance networks, including United Healthcare and Kaiser Permanente. As a result, not all plans will meet the requirement that students have coverage where they study. If your insurer does not include Cayuga Health or Cayuga Medical Center as a participating provider, please refer to your out-of-network benefits to see the level of coverage your insurer offers at these providers.
If you have New York State Medicaid, you may need to change your Medicaid Managed Care (MMC) plan, as Fidelis Care and Molina are the only plans which cover Ithaca-area providers. Please begin this process as soon as possible so you can meet the waiver deadline. To do so, you can contact the New York State of Health at 855-355-5777 or log into your personal portal at www.nystateofhealth.ny.gov to request a change to your MMC. You may also consider enrolling in SHP Plus.
Please refer to Weill Cornell’s Student Health Plan Information page.
Cornell Tech in New York City
In-person students at Cornell Tech are required to maintain health coverage, either by enrolling in SHP/SHP Plus or, if eligible to waive, showing they have coverage which meets university requirements.