Cornell's health insurance requirements
Access to health care and adequate health insurance are essential to your health, and to your ability to achieve your goals at Cornell. That's why in 1974 Cornell's Board of Trustees instituted a policy requiring all students to have quality health insurance.
Cornell's criteria for quality health insurance are designed to ensure that all students have access to professional, timely, confidential, and affordable medical and mental health care, and are protected against costs that could undermine their education or financial or personal well-being.
See new 2019-2020 insurance requirements (beginning May 1, 2019)
Annual SHP enrollment / waiver process
Automatic SHP enrollment: To ensure that students have health insurance that meets the requirements above, registered students taking 12 or more credits during the academic year are automatically enrolled in Cornell's Student Health Plan (SHP) each year. SHP is a platinum-level plan that meets or exceeds the university's health insurance requirements.
Waiving SHP: Eligible student who have alternate health insurance that meets Cornell's requirements may apply to waive their SHP enrollment. Students who retain their own insurance must submit a waiver application annually.
- International students are required to stay enrolled in SHP, and may not waive their enrollment (with a few exceptions).
- Students who enroll in Cornell's Student Health Plan Plus (SHP+) are exempt from the annual SHP enrollment / waiver process.
- Fully funded graduate students have SHP provided as a benefit of their program, and do not need to waive.
- Summer students and Continuing Education students have different requirements.
- Part-time students (those taking fewer than 12 credits and during the academic year) and non-degree full-time students are exempt from the annual SHP enrollment / waiver process (please contact us with any questions).
Student Health Fee (Ithaca students only)
Ithaca students who are not enrolled in a Cornell student health plan (SHP or SHP+) pay a Student Health Fee, giving them the same pre-paid access to care at Cornell Health as SHP members have (most visits / services have a $10 visit copay).
Information just for you
Please visit the following pages to find population-specific requirements and options: