Automatic SHP enrollment: Each year, full-time academic-year students are enrolled in Cornell's Student Health Plan (SHP) as part of university policy requiring all students to have quality health insurance. (Exception: Some students may be eligible for SHP+).
Waiving SHP: Eligible students who have alternate health insurance that meets Cornell's requirements may apply to waive their SHP enrollment. Students who retain their own insurance must submit a waiver application annually.
Waiver applications are NOT accepted from ...
- international students, who are required to maintain their SHP enrollment (with a few exceptions)
- fully funded graduate students, who have SHP provided as a benefit of their program
- Student Health Plan Plus (SHP+) enrollees, who do not need to waive SHP
Before submitting a waiver application ...
- Confirm that your health insurance meets Cornell's requirements (non-New York state-based HMOs not accepted)
- Make sure your plan compares well with the Student Health Plan (SHP) and provides the coverage you want and need:
- Compare your plan's Summary of Benefits and Coverage with SHP's Summary of Benefits and Coverage (pdf) (all plans must provide one)
- Ithaca students: Understand that if your waiver is approved, you will pay a Student Health Fee (gives you the same pre-paid access to care at Cornell Health as SHP members have, with a $10 copay for appointments)
Submit a waiver application
The deadline for spring 2019 admits to submit a waiver application has passed. If you missed the deadline and wish to cancel your SHP enrollment, visit Cancelling SHP. Restrictions and a cancellation fee apply.