Automatic SHP enrollment: Each year, full-time academic-year students are enrolled in Cornell's Student Health Plan (SHP) as part of university policy requiring all students to have quality health insurance. (Exception: Some students may be eligible for SHP+).
Waiving SHP: Eligible students who have alternate health insurance that meets Cornell's requirements may apply to waive their SHP enrollment. Students who retain their own insurance must submit a waiver application annually.
Waiver applications are NOT accepted from ...
- international students, who are required to maintain their SHP enrollment (with a few exceptions)
- fully funded graduate students, who have SHP provided as a benefit of their program
Before submitting a waiver application ...
- Confirm that your health insurance meets Cornell's requirements (non-New York state-based HMOs not accepted)
- Make sure your plan compares well with the Student Health Plan (SHP) and provides the coverage you want and need:
- Compare your plan's Summary of Benefits and Coverage with SHP's Summary of Benefits and Coverage (pdf) (all plans must provide one)
- Ithaca students: Understand that if your waiver is approved, you will pay a Student Health Fee (gives you the same pre-paid access to care at Cornell Health as SHP members have, with a $10 copay for appointments)
Submit a waiver application
NEW SPRING 2019 STUDENTS:
The deadline to submit a waiver application was December 31, 2018. Late waiver applications will be accepted until 11:59 pm on January 31, 2019. A $100 late fee applies.
>> Application login (Gallagher Student Health*)
When filling out your application, you will be asked to provide information to demonstrate that your plan meets Cornell's requirements.
You will be informed whether your waiver application is approved:
- If your application is approved, the SHP premium (charged to your Bursar account in mid-December) will be refunded to your account. Ithaca students will be responsible for paying the spring-semester Student Health Fee.
- If your application is not approved, you must stay enrolled in SHP, and will be responsible for paying the spring-semester premium. (See "Appealing your waiver denial" below if you believe your application was denied erroneously.)
*Cornell's waiver application process is maintained through Gallagher Student Health. If you have questions about the waiver process or application, you may contact them 24/7 at (844-691-4005). You may also contact us at 607-255-6363 or email@example.com during office hours.