Automatic SHP enrollment: Each year, full-time academic-year students are enrolled in Cornell's Student Health Plan (SHP) as part of university policy requiring all students to have quality health insurance. (Some students may be eligible for SHP+).
Waiving SHP: Eligible students who have alternate health insurance that meets Cornell's requirements may apply to waive their SHP enrollment. Students who retain their own insurance must submit a waiver application annually.
Waiver applications are NOT accepted from ...
- international students, who are required to maintain their SHP enrollment (with a few exceptions)
- fully funded graduate students, who have SHP provided as a benefit of their program
Before submitting a waiver application ...
- Confirm that your health insurance meets Cornell's requirements (non-New York state-based HMOs not accepted)
- Make sure your plan compares well with the Student Health Plan (SHP) and provides the coverage you want and need:
- Compare your plan's Summary of Benefits and Coverage with SHP's Summary of Benefits and Coverage (pdf) (all plans must provide one)
- Compare cost-sharing information by viewing the SHP vs NY Exchange price and coverage comparison (pdf) (coming soon!)
- Ithaca students: Understand that if your waiver is approved, you will pay a Student Health Fee (gives you the same pre-paid access to care at Cornell Health as SHP members have, with a $10 copay for appointments)
Submit a waiver application
FALL 2018 DEADLINE: The waiver application deadline is July 31 at 11:59 pm.
First-time applicants: You will be asked to provide information to demonstrate that your plan meets Cornell's requirements.
Returning applicants: If your plan information hasn't changed, confirm that your plan is the same. (Please note that plans that were accepted last year may not be accepted this year.)
You will be informed whether your waiver application is approved. If your application is not approved, you must stay enrolled in SHP, and will be responsible for paying the premium. (See "Appealing your waiver denial" below if you believe your application was denied erroneously.)
Cornell's waiver application process is maintained through Gallagher Student Health. If you have questions about the waiver process or application, you may contact them 24/7 at (844-691-4005). You may also contact us at 607-255-6363 or email@example.com during office hours.
Premium refund if you waive after you're billed
Fall 2018 students are billed for the SHP premium on July 12. Students starting in January are billed in mid-December. If you waive SHP after you are billed, the premium will be refunded to your Bursar account.
Late waiver submissions
If you want to waive after the deadline, please contact the Student Health Benefits office at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a late waiver application. A $100 late fee will be charged for waiver applications received after the deadline. Waiver applications will not be accepted after August 31 (January 31 for students starting in January).
NOTE: If you use any of your SHP benefits before your waiver application is approved, we will not be able to give you a premium refund.
Appealing your waiver denial
If you believe your plan meets Cornell's requirements and your waiver application was denied erroneously, please email us so we can send you an appeal form. (Continuing students: please note that plans that were accepted last year may not be accepted this year due to a recent correction in our auditing process.)
Cancellations & premium refunds
There are only a few situations in which SHP can be canceled and the premium refunded. If claims from any provider have been submitted and paid for any period, no refund can be provided under any circumstances. Refer to our Cancellation / Early Termination page for details.