Using SHP Abroad

Cornell's Travel Registry

Register your Cornell-affiliated travel with Cornell's Travel Registry to qualify for Cornell's international travel insurance, and to stay connected to emergency communications.

University-provided insurance for international travelers

Effective July 1, 2020, all registered travelers on Cornell-related international travel are fully covered – at no cost to the traveler – under Cornell’s accident, sickness, and emergency care insurance plan.

This insurance acts as primary coverage (will be used first and supersedes all other medical insurance) for urgent and emergent medical expenses and emergency mental health expenses, among other expenses, and works in tandem with Cornell’s 24/7 travel assistance.

Please visit the Global Cornell website for details. 

Supplementary SHP coverage abroad

Cornell's Student Health Plan (SHP) provides international coverage that supplements the university's international travel insurance, including coverage for:

  • expenses incurred during personal travel or vacation not related to a Cornell travel trip
  • routine (non-emergency) or ongoing medical or mental health care, which is not covered by Cornell’s international travelers insurance

SHP members are encouraged to provide proof of both insurance – the university's travel insurance and SHP – when seeking care.

For expenses covered by SHP, benefits are available to you at the participating provider care level (see your Summary of Benefits and Coverage for details). You are not required to authorize care in advance when you are outside of the U.S.

  • In most cases, you will have to pay for care in full at the time the service is provided, and then submit a claim for reimbursement:
  • Be sure to receive an itemized bill and a receipt, including the date of service, diagnosis, and the dollar amount of for visit
  • You may then submit a claim for reimbursement to Aetna Student Health (our office can help!)
  • SHP will reimburse you for charges for covered benefits according to the participating provider care benefit level, minus any applicable co-payments

To contact the Aetna Student Health Claims Administrators, Inc. when you are outside of the United States, please call 617-218-8400 (collect calls are accepted).