Student Health Plan (SHP)
Cornell's Student Health Plan (SHP) provides platinum-level health insurance coverage to undergraduate, graduate, and professional students, and their dependents.
Administered by Aetna Student Health, SHP was designed with input from Cornell students to provide access to convenient and comprehensive care on Cornell's Ithaca campus, in New York City, and anywhere else in the U.S or abroad.
- Provides extensive coverage at a reasonable cost for most on- or off-campus health care
- Provides coverage 24 hours a day, anywhere in the world
- Includes 90% coverage in the national network with any Aetna participating provider
- For students in Ithaca, provides coordination of services by Cornell Health and a provider network that includes the local hospital
- Covers pre-existing health conditions
- Guards against catastrophic expenses
- Continues coverage when students have to take a leave of absence
- Meets or exceeds all F-1 and J-1 visa requirements
- Meets or exceeds all Federal, State, and American College Health Association standards for health insurance
- Exceeds the requirements of the U.S. Affordable Care Act
Annual enrollment & waiver process
Students enrolled in a full-time residential (non-distance learning) Cornell program are required to confirm enrollment in SHP or submit a waiver. (Some students may be eligible for SHP+ instead of SHP.) Students that do not have an approved waiver will be auto-enrolled in SHP.
Eligible domestic students may request to waive their enrollment with documentation of alternate insurance that meets Cornell's requirements.
Learn more about requirements and options for ...
- Ithaca students
- New York City students
- Other U.S.-based students
- International students
- Summer students
- Early start students
- Continuing Education students
- Students studying abroad
- Students studying in absentia
Students who stay enrolled in SHP may choose to enroll dependents in the plan.
SHP has you covered anywhere in the world. Learn more about:
- Finding Participating Providers anywhere in the U.S.
- Using SHP at Cornell Health in Ithaca
- Using SHP abroad
Refer to your plan year information for prescription coverage and other details.
Please contact us.