Cornell's Student Health Plan (SHP) provides platinum-level health insurance coverage to undergraduate, graduate, and professional students, and their dependents.
Administered by Aetna Student Health, SHP was designed with input from Cornell students to provide access to convenient and comprehensive care on Cornell's Ithaca campus, in New York City, and anywhere else in the U.S or abroad.
- Provides extensive coverage at a reasonable cost for most on- or off-campus health care
- Provides coverage 24 hours a day, anywhere in the world
- Includes 90% coverage in the national network with any Aetna participating provider
- For students in Ithaca, provides coordination of services by Cornell Health and a preferred provider network that includes the local hospital
- Covers pre-existing health conditions
- Guards against catastrophic expenses
- Continues coverage when students have to take a leave of absence
- Meets or exceeds all F-1 and J-1 visa requirements
- Meets or exceeds all Federal, State, and American College Health Association standards for health insurance [view SHP vs NY Exchange price and coverage comparison (pdf)]
- Exceeds the requirements of the U.S. Affordable Care Act
- Includes world-wide travel assistance and emergency air transportation services
- Offers optional dental and vision plans
- Provides convenient assistance with enrollment and claims submission through the Student Health Benefits
> 2018-2019 SHP plan information will be posted soon!
Annual enrollment & waiver process
Each year, full-time registered Cornell students are automatically enrolled in Cornell's Student Health Plan (SHP). (Some students may be eligible for SHP-Medicaid instead of SHP.)
Eligible domestic students may request to waive their enrollment in lieu of alternative insurance that meets Cornell's requirements.
To learn more, see information especially for:
- Ithaca students
- New York City students
- Other students outside of Ithaca
- International students
- Summer students
- Continuing Education students
- Students studying abroad
- Students on leave / in absentia
Students who stay enrolled in SHP may choose to enroll dependents in the plan.
SHP has you covered anywhere in the world. Learn more about:
- Finding Participating Providers anywhere in the U.S.
- Using SHP at Cornell Health in Ithaca
- Using SHP abroad
Refer to your plan year information for prescription coverage and other details.