Optional vision insurance
Student Health Benefits offers an optional vision insurance plan to supplement students' health insurance coverage.
All students are eligible to enroll in the Vision Plan, whether you are covered by Cornell's Student Health Plan (SHP) or a private health insurance plan. Plan enrollees may also choose to enroll dependents (spouses, domestic partners, and children).
NOTE: Student Health Plan Plus (SHP+) members have dental and vision coverage included as a benefit of their plan.
Cornell's student Dental Plan is offered through Ameritas Life Insurance Corp. of New York. The plan ...
- is tailored to fit the needs of Cornell students (and their dependents) studying in Ithaca, New York City, or anywhere else in the United States
- offers savings on eye exams, glasses, contacts, and laser vision surgery
- includes access to a nationwide network of 94,000 in-network providers, including more than 21,000 independent locations and more than 6,000 retail locations
- offers online in-network options so you can order eyewear and contacts online
- provides in-network and out-of-network coverage
2018-2019 Plan Information
Please refer to the 2018−2019 Vision Plan brochure (pdf) for complete details about coverage and benefits.
- Annual: August 1, 2018 – July 31, 2019
- Spring semester only: January 1, 2019 – July 31, 2019 (available only to new spring admits)
- 2018-2019 Plan Term (August 1, 2018 – July 31, 2019):
Spouse / domestic partner: $128
One or more children: $85
- Spring 2019 Plan Term (January 1, 2019 – July 31, 2019):
Available only to new spring admits
Spouse / domestic partner: $85
One or more children: $59
NEW THIS YEAR: Premiums must be paid by credit card, and are no longer Bursar-billable.
- Annual plan term:
- Registered Cornell students
- Dependents (spouse, domestic partner, children) of students enrolled in the Dental Plan
- Spring semester only:
- Students entering Cornell for the first time in the spring (and their dependents)
- Enrolled students (and their dependents) returning to Cornell in the spring after a fall semester off campus (restrictions apply for students who were eligible to enroll in the fall, but chose not to)
How to enroll
The enrollment period for spring 2019 admits has passed. Please contact us if you have any questions.
Finding participating providers
You will get the most out of your plan by using an Ameritas participating (or "in network") provider. Refer to page 2 of your Vision Plan brochure for coverage details.
Enter the zip code where you want to receive care, and select the "Access" network. Visit Ameritas's Find a Provider page for more information and resources.