Leave of Absence & Graduation
Going on leave? Coming back from leave? Graduating and need to extend coverage? We have you covered.
Important! Coverage in SHP does not automatically end when you go on leave. If you are already enrolled in SHP for the plan year, you must request a termination of coverage if you do not want to maintain coverage in SHP. If you do not request this termination, no refund can be provided. This applies to all students, including those in PhD programs who may lose funding for SHP during leave; you will be responsible for paying SHP premiums. Student Health Benefits cannot legally terminate your coverage unless you submit a termination request through Gallagher Student Health.
The following applies to the 2021 – 2022 academic year.
Unless a student who graduates the University applies for an extension of coverage, health plan coverage automatically expires on the following dates:
- May graduates: Coverage expires June 30
- August graduates: Coverage expires August 31
- Students enrolled in SHP through June 30 that are identified as August graduates AND who are enrolled in classes for the summer term will be enrolled for July and August coverage as identified based on their expected grad term of Summer 2022.
- December graduates: Coverage expires December 31
Unless a student who goes on leave of absence applies for an extension of coverage or requests a termination through Gallagher Student Health coverage automatically expires on the following dates:
- August 1 – December 31 (if student enrolled in fall credits): January 31
- January 1 – June 30: June 30
Coverage for students who withdraw from the University ends 30 days after the date of institutional knowledge.