Optional dental insurance
Student Health Benefits offers an optional dental insurance plan to supplement students' health insurance coverage.
All students are eligible to enroll in the Dental Plan, whether you are covered by Cornell's Student Health Plan (SHP) or a private health insurance plan. Plan enrollees may also choose to enroll dependents (spouses, domestic partners, and children).
NOTE: Student Health Plan Plus (SHP+) members have dental and vision coverage included as a benefit of their plan.
Cornell's student Dental Plan is offered through Ameritas Life Insurance Corp. of New York. The plan ...
- is tailored to fit the needs of Cornell students (and their dependents) studying in Ithaca, New York City, or anywhere in the United States or abroad
- provides preventive and basic coverage at a reasonable price anywhere in the United States
- includes access to a nationwide Participating Provider Organization (PPO) of approximately 7,000 New York dental provider access points, with more than 80,000 access points nationwide
- provides support finding dental care when traveling outside the United States
- offers prescription discounts
2020-2021 Plan Information
Visit the Ameritas website for Cornell students for complete plan details.
- Annual: August 1, 2020 – July 31, 2021
- Spring semester only: January 1, 2021 – July 31, 2021 (available only to new spring admits)
- 2020-2021 Plan Term (August 1, 2020 – July 31, 2021):
Spouse / domestic partner: Additional $318
One or more children: Additional $482
- Spring 2021 Plan Term (January 1, 2021 – July 31, 2021):
(Available only to new spring admits)
Spouse / domestic partner: Additional $212
One or more children: Additional $323
NOTE: Premiums are paid directly to Ameritas, and are no longer Bursar-billable.
- Annual plan term:
- Registered Cornell students
- Dependents (spouse, domestic partner, children) of students enrolled in the Dental Plan
- Spring semester only:
- Students entering Cornell for the first time in the spring (and their dependents)
- Enrolled students (and their dependents) returning to Cornell in the spring after a fall semester off campus (restrictions apply for students who were eligible to enroll in the fall, but chose not to)
The enrollment period for the 2020-2021 plan year has ended. Enrollment for spring 2021 will begin in late November.
Using your plan
Important: Once you enroll in the Dental Plan, it takes 1-3 days for your enrollment to be recognized in the Ameritas system and for you to be able to use your benefits.
Refer to Ameritas' 4-page How to Get the Most from Your Dental Benefits PDF for an overview of how to use your plan.
Register for your secure member account to get your ID card and access plan information:
- Go to ameritas.com
- Sign in to your Customer (Member) Account under the Dental dropdown
- On the Login page, select “Register Now”
- Complete the New User Registration form
Finding participating providers
You will get the most out of your plan by using an Ameritas participating (or "in network") provider. Refer to page 2 of your Dental Plan brochure for coverage details.
Enter the zip code where you want to receive care, and select the "Class (PPO)" network. Visit Ameritas's Find a Provider page for more information and resources.