Optional dental insurance
Student Health Benefits offers an optional dental insurance plan to supplement students' health insurance coverage.
All students are eligible to enroll in the Dental Plan, whether you are covered by Cornell's Student Health Plan (SHP) or a private health insurance plan. Plan enrollees may also choose to enroll dependents (spouses, domestic partners, and children).
NOTE: Student Health Plan Plus (SHP+) members have dental and vision coverage included as a benefit of their plan.
Cornell's student Dental Plan is offered through MetLife. The plan ...
- is tailored to fit the needs of Cornell students (and their dependents) studying in Ithaca, New York City, or anywhere in the United States or abroad
- provides preventive and basic coverage at a reasonable price anywhere in the United States
- includes access to a nationwide Participating Provider Organization (PPO) of approximately 7,000 New York dental provider access points, with more than 80,000 access points nationwide
- provides support finding dental care when traveling outside the United States
- offers prescription discounts
2021-2022 Plan Information
- Annual: August 1, 2021 – June 30, 2022
- Spring semester only: January 1, 2021 – June 30, 2022 (available only to new spring admits)
|Student + One Dependent||$526.90||$287.40|
|Student + Family||$666.71||$363.66|
NOTE: Premiums are paid directly to MetLife. There is a $10 processing fee in addition to the premium.
|Coverage Type||Plan Reimbursement|
|Type A - Preventative||100% of R&C Fee*|
|Type B - Basic||80% of R&C Fee*|
|Type C - Major||50% of R&C Fee|
|Plan Maximum Benefit (Applies to B&C services)|
*R&C fee refers to the Reasonable and Customary (R&C) charge, which is based on the lowest of (1) the dentist’s actual charge, (2) the dentist’s usual charge for the same or similar services, or (3) the charge of most dentists in the same geographic area for the same or similar services as determined by MetLife.
** Applies only to Type B & C Services.
- Annual plan term:
- Registered Cornell students
- Dependents (spouse, domestic partner, children) of students enrolled in the Dental Plan
- Spring semester only:
- Students entering Cornell for the first time in the spring (and their dependents)
- Enrolled students (and their dependents) returning to Cornell in the spring after a fall semester off campus (restrictions apply for students who were eligible to enroll in the fall, but chose not to)
Enrollment opens July 15, 2021
- Fall enrollment deadline: August 31, 2021
- Enrollment deadline for spring admits: January 31, 2022
Go to Cornell - Member Benefits Marketplace to enroll in coverage. Please note that you will be directed to a payment link outside of the enrollment page for payment. Installment payments are not available, and payment should be made for the annual or spring term in full.
Contact MetLife with questions regarding dental enrollment.