Your 1095-B Form
Each year, Student Health Benefits submits a completed 1095-B form to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) on behalf of all students enrolled in a Cornell student health plan (SHP or SHP+) during the previous calendar year.
This Affordable Care Act (ACA) reporting requirement verifies that plan members had insurance that provides minimum essential coverage. The ACA requires that you have minimum essential coverage, or qualify for an exemption, or you may be required to make a payment on your federal income tax return.
Providing information for your 1095-B form
Each December ...
(1) We will ask you to verify or provide your Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Tax ID Number (ITIN) to Cornell. We use this taxpayer identification number when we submit your 1095-B form to the IRS.
- Please check to make sure your SSN or ITIN is listed in Cornell's Student Center (log in and click on the "Demographic Data" link).
- If your SSN / ITIN is missing or incorrect in Student Center, please provide your SSN / ITIN to the Registrar by December 31 using one of the following two methods:
- In person - Visit the Office of the University Registrar, located at B7 Day Hall, and bring a copy of your original social security card or taxpayer/ITIN letter and two forms of identification.
- By fax - Fax a copy of your original social security card to 607-255-6262. Include your full name, 7-digit Cornell ID number, dates of attendance at Cornell, email address, and phone number where we may reach you.
- If you do not have an SSN or ITIN, please request a taxpayer ID number through Cornell's Division of Financial Affairs office.
- International students: We understand that international students and their families who are not receiving fellowship payments or wages will not be eligible to apply for a SSN or ITIN, and therefore will not be able to supply this tax identification number to the university.
(2) We will ask you to verify your preferred mailing address so we can mail you a copy of your 1095-B form in the spring. (Not applicable for international students without an SSN or ITIN.)
- If you are a U.S. citizen, your form will be mailed to your home address on file with the university, unless you request otherwise.
- If you are an international student, and you have a local address on file with the university, your 1095-B form will be mailed to your local address, unless you request otherwise.
- If you need to update your permanent and/or local address, please do so in Student Center by December 31.
Receiving a copy of your form
Each spring ...
We will mail you a copy of your completed 1095-B form for your tax records. The 1095-B may be necessary to complete your tax return. However, you do not need to submit the 1095-B form itself with your tax return.
When you receive the form, be sure to check to make sure the information is correct. If you have any questions or you see a correction that needs to be made, please contact us. If the information is correct, you may file the form away with your other tax records.
International students: The form may not be applicable to your situation. If you have any questions, please consult a tax adviser, or contact us for further assistance.
If you have any questions about this requirement or about your 1095-B form, please contact us. We are here to help.