Students Outside Ithaca
Cornell requires all students to have quality health insurance (see Cornell's requirements). The following information explains how these requirements apply to students in:
- Geneva, NY
- Washington D.C.
- New York City
- Other programs in the United States
Student Health Plan (SHP) enrollment
Students enrolled in a full-time (non-distance learning) Cornell program are required to confirm enrollment annually prior to the start of the academic year or they will be automatically enrolled in Cornell's Student Health Plan (SHP) to ensure that they have health insurance that meets Cornell's requirements.
Automatic SHP enrollment takes place each August for the following academic year, and each January for students starting in the spring.
SHP is a platinum-level plan designed with input from Cornell students to support your health care needs anywhere in the United States and abroad. Learn more about SHP's benefits, and how to find participating providers in your area.
Geneva students: It's your choice where you choose to get care: some Geneva students use SHP to get care in Geneva or elsewhere; some prefer to use SHP at Cornell Health in Ithaca.
All students enrolled in a full-time residential Cornell program are required to confirm enrollment in SHP or submit a waiver.
Annual SHP enrollment: Each year, students enrolled in a full-time residential Cornell program should confirm enrollment prior to the start of the academic year if selecting SHP. a
Waiving SHP: Eligible students who have alternate health insurance that meets Cornell's requirements may apply to waive their SHP enrollment. The waiver approval applies to the current academic year, and students who retain their own insurance must submit a waiver application annually.
- International students are required to maintain their SHP enrollment (with a few exceptions).
- Fully funded graduate students have SHP provided as a benefit of their program, and do not need to waive.
Additional coverage (optional)
- Dental & vision coverage: Students may also choose to enroll in Cornell's Dental Plan and / or Vision Plan, whether or not they enroll in SHP.
- Enrolling dependents: Students with partners or families can enroll dependents in SHP, or in Cornell's Dental Plan and / or Vision Plan (students must be enrolled in the respective plan before enrolling spouses, domestic partners, or children.
Please contact us.