Students Outside Ithaca
Cornell requires all students to have quality health insurance (see Cornell's requirements). The following information explains how these requirements apply to students in:
- Geneva, NY
- Washington D.C.
- New York City
- Other programs in the United States
Automatic Student Health Plan (SHP) enrollment
Each year, full-time registered students are automatically enrolled in Cornell's Student Health Plan (SHP) to ensure that they have health insurance that meets Cornell's requirements.
Automatic SHP enrollment takes place each June for the following academic year, and each December for students starting in the spring.
SHP is a platinum-level plan designed with input from Cornell students to support your health care needs anywhere in the United States and abroad. Learn more about SHP's benefits, and how to find participating providers in your area.
Geneva students: It's your choice where you choose to get care: some Geneva students use SHP to get care in Geneva or elsewhere; some prefer to use SHP at Cornell Health in Ithaca.
Eligible students who have alternate health insurance that meets Cornell's requirements may apply to waive their SHP enrollment. For academic-year students, the waiver application period begins in June and ends on July 31. For spring entrants, the application period begins in December and ends on December 31.
Students must submit a SHP waiver application annually to demonstrate that their insurance meets the university's requirements. Learn more about waiving SHP.
- International students are required to maintain their SHP enrollment (with a few exceptions).
- Fully funded graduate students have SHP provided as a benefit of their program, and do not need to waive.
Additional coverage (optional)
- Dental & vision coverage: Students may also choose to enroll in Cornell's Dental Plan and / or Vision Plan, whether or not they enroll in SHP.
- Enrolling dependents: Students with partners or families can enroll dependents in SHP, or in Cornell's Dental Plan and / or Vision Plan (students must be enrolled in the respective plan before enrolling spouses, domestic partners, or children.
Please contact us.