Cornell requires all students to have quality health insurance (see Cornell's Requirements). The following information explains how these requirements apply to students on Cornell's Ithaca campus.
Student Health Plan (SHP) enrollment
Students enrolled in a full-time (non-distance learning) Cornell program are required to confirm enrollment annually prior to the start of the academic year or they will be automatically enrolled in Cornell's Student Health Plan (SHP) each year to ensure that they have health insurance that meets the university's requirements.
Automatic SHP enrollment takes place each August for the following academic year, and each January for students starting in the spring.
- Students who are eligible for and enroll in Cornell's Student Health Plan Plus (SHP+) are exempt from the annual SHP enrollment process.
- Summer students and Continuing Education students have different requirements.
- Part-time students may be exempt from the annual SHP enrollment / waiver process (please contact us with any questions).
SHP is a platinum-level plan designed with input from Cornell students to support your health care needs at Cornell Health, in the Ithaca area, and anywhere else in the United States and abroad. Learn more about SHP's benefits.
All students enrolled in a full-time residential Cornell program are required to confirm enrollment in SHP or submit a waiver.
Annual SHP enrollment: Each year, students enrolled in a full-time residential Cornell program should confirm enrollment prior to the start of the academic year if selecting SHP.
Waiving SHP: Eligible students who have alternate health insurance that meets Cornell's requirements may apply to waive their SHP enrollment. The waiver approval applies to the current academic year, and students who retain their own insurance must submit a waiver application annually.
Automatic SHP Enrollment: If a student does not confirm enrollment or, if eligible, receive an approved waiver, the student will be automatically enrolled in Cornell's Student Health Plan (SHP) as part of university policy requiring all students to have quality health insurance. (Exception: Some students may be eligible for SHP+).
- International students are required to maintain their SHP enrollment (with a few exceptions).
- Fully funded graduate students have SHP provided as a benefit of their program, and do not need to waive.
Additional coverage (optional)
- SHP+: Some students may be eligible for Cornell's Student Health Plan Plus (SHP+). (Students who enroll in SHP+ are exempt from the annual SHP enrollment / waiver process.)
- Dental & vision coverage: Students may also choose to enroll in Cornell's Dental Plan and / or Vision Plan, whether or not they enroll in SHP. (Note: SHP+ enrollment includes dental and vision coverage.)
- Enrolling dependents: Students with partners or families can enroll dependents in SHP, or in Cornell's Dental Plan and / or Vision Plan (students must be enrolled in the respective plan before enrolling spouses, domestic partners, or children).
Please contact us.