Early Termination Option
All students who are enrolled in Cornell's Student Health Plan (SHP) prior to the start of the second semester automatically remain enrolled in SHP through July 31. However, there is an option for early termination.
Who is eligible?
- Fall graduates with a program completion date on or before January 31
- Students who withdraw from the university before the start of the spring semester
- Students who register in absentia for the spring semester
- Students who have an on leave date after September 1 and before January 31
What is involved in early termination?
- Your SHP coverage will be terminated on January 31 at 11:59 p.m.
- If your spouse, domestic partner, and/or child(ren) are enrolled in SHP, that coverage also will be terminated on January 31
- You are responsible for the SHP premium for coverage from August 1 through January 31
- Your bursar account will be adjusted to reflect early SHP termination (unless you are on a payment plan), and a payment transaction (equal to 6 months of the SHP premium) will be reflected there within two billing cycles of termination
- Dental and vision plans are not eligible for early termination or refund
How do I apply?
- Make sure your student status (on your university student record) indicates Graduated, Withdrawn, In Absentia, or On Leave after September 1 and prior to January 31.
- Submit the Early Termination Application by email, fax, mail, or in person to the Office of Student Health Benefits (deadline: January 31 at 11:59 p.m).
- If your registration status changes after the January 31 deadline, you will not be eligible for SHP Early Termination or a premium refund. Your SHP coverage will continue until July 31 at 11:59 p.m.
- If any claims are submitted to Aetna under this plan for dates of service after January 31, your request will be denied.