Your 1095-B Form

Each year, Student Health Benefits submits a completed 1095-B form to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) on behalf of all students enrolled in a Cornell student health plan (SHP or SHP+) during the previous calendar year. 

This Affordable Care Act (ACA) reporting requirement verifies that plan members had insurance that provides minimum essential coverage. The ACA requires that you have minimum essential coverage, or qualify for an exemption, or you may be required to make a payment on your federal income tax return.

Providing information for your 1095-B form

Each fall, you will be asked you to verify or provide your Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Tax ID Number (ITIN) to Cornell. We use this taxpayer identification number when we submit your 1095-B form to the IRS.

  • Please check to make sure your SSN or ITIN is listed in Cornell's Student Center (log in and click on the "Demographic Data" link). 
  • If your SSN / ITIN is missing or incorrect in Student Center, please provide your SSN / ITIN to the Registrar by December 31 using one of the following two methods: 
    • In person - Visit the Office of the University Registrar, located at B7 Day Hall, and bring a copy of your original social security card or taxpayer/ITIN letter and two forms of identification.
    • By fax - Fax a copy of your original social security card to 607-255-6262. Include your full name, 7-digit Cornell ID number, dates of attendance at Cornell, email address, and phone number where we may reach you.
  • If you do not have an SSN or ITIN, please request a taxpayer ID number through Cornell's Division of Financial Affairs office.
  • International students: We understand that international students and their families who are not receiving fellowship payments or wages will not be eligible to apply for a SSN or ITIN, and therefore will not be able to supply this tax identification number to the university.

Receiving your 1095-B form from Student Health Benefits

Students receive a copy of their 1095-B forms at the beginning of the spring semester. Forms are not required for completion of your federal tax return. However, some students use their form to complete their state tax return, or to keep for their own records.

If you would like to receive another copy – or a corrected copy – of your 1095-B form, please send your request by email to (and include "1095-B request" in the subject line), or by regular mail to:

  Cornell Student Health Plan
  395 Pine Tree Rd
  Suite 210
  Ithaca, NY 14850

  • Your request must include your full name, your student ID, an email or phone number where you can be reached, and the address where you would like the 1095-B sent.
  • If you would like the form emailed, please provided an email address and indicate you prefer to receive your 1095-B via email.

Requests will be processed by the Cornell Student Health Plan within 30 days of the receipt of the request.  

Please note the address provided for your 1095-B mailing is for the Student Health Plan only and will not change your address on file with Cornell University. If you would like to update your address with Cornell University, please do so in Student Center. 

If you have questions, please call Student Health Benefits at 607-255-6363.


If you have any questions about this requirement or about your 1095-B form, please contact us. We are here to help.