Dependent Enrollment

Visit Student Health Plan to learn about SHP and its benefits to those studying in Ithaca, New York City, and anywhere in the United States or abroad.

Enrolling dependents

Students who enroll in SHP may also enroll ...

    Lawful spouse/domestic partners:

  • Domestic students – the relationship must be documented by a domestic partner certificate, civil union certificate, or marriage license
  • International students – the relationship must be documented by a copy of the dependent's visa (showing arrival date into the United States) and either a marriage license or a form documenting household register

    Unmarried children:

  • Includes biological children, stepchildren, and foster children up to age 29, who are not self-supporting, and who reside with you (or for whom you are court-ordered to provide insurance)
  • A birth certificate for each child must be provided

How to enroll dependents

Enrollment in Cornell's student insurance plans is maintained through Gallagher Student Health. To enroll dependents, log in to Gallagher's website: 

Once logged in, click "Enroll" and you will see an option for dependent enrollment. 

To ensure your dependent enrollment is processed, you will need to upload supporting documentation (examples:  birth certificate, marriage license, etc.) as proof of the dependent relationship.  After completing the enrollment through Gallagher Student Health, you will also receive an email with a payment link from Gallagher to pay for your dependent coverage.  Payment must be received for the enrollment to be processed.  Please allow 5-7 days for processing of the dependent enrollment. 

    Enrollment deadlines: 

  • For students enrolling in the fall semester: August 31
  • For students entering Cornell for the spring semester: January 31
  • Late registrants: within 30 days of registration 

If you have a dependent who experiences a significant life change that directly affects their insurance coverage (such as a loss of coverage from a prior plan, marriage, divorce, or reasons beyond a person’s control), the deadline to enroll in SHP is 31 days after the qualifying life-changing event.  

Rates for dependent coverage

Dependent coverage cannot be bursar billed. Payment for dependent coverage is through Gallagher Student Health upon enrollment.


Other insurance options for dependents

While SHP is an excellent choice for many dependents, there are some other options for dependent coverage through the state health insurance exchange. For example, Child Health Plus, a New York State program for children, offers coverage with low monthly premiums for those who qualify. Note: International students should consult the Office of Global Learning's Public Charge page before enrolling children in Child Health Plus. 

Student Health Benefits staff members can help you review your options and select the best coverage to fit your family's needs. Please contact us

You may also contact the Human Services Coalition of Tompkins County for information about private insurance options in the Ithaca area.