Enroll in SHP
Visit Student Health Plan to learn about SHP and its benefits to those studying in Ithaca, New York City, and anywhere in the United States or abroad.
Please see STUDENT ENROLLMENT information below for ...
- Full-time academic-year students
- Part-time academic-year students
- Academic-year students who wish to enroll mid-year
- Summer students
- Students going on a Leave of Absence
- Graduating students
Students enrolled in a full-time (non-distance learning) Cornell program are automatically enrolled in Cornell's Student Health Plan (SHP) each year to ensure that they have health insurance that meets the university's requirements. (Exception: Some students are eligible for SHP-Medicaid instead of SHP.)
Automatic SHP enrollment takes place each June for the following academic year, and each December for students starting the following spring semester. You will receive information from our office at the start of this process each year.
- Students who wish to stay enrolled do not need to do anything to accept their enrollment – although they may confirm their enrollment through Gallagher Student Health, if they wish: [Cornell University student login] [Cornell Tech student login].
- Students who do not wish to stay enrolled must submit a waiver application annually to demonstrate that they have alternate insurance that meets Cornell's requirements (eligible students only).
Students who are not studying full time may be eligible to enroll in SHP. Please contact our office to learn more, and to access the enrollment application. The open enrollment deadline is August 31 for fall students, and January 31 for new entering spring students.
Students who initially waived SHP may enroll in the plan mid-year ("petition to add coverage") if they experience a qualifying event. Qualifying events include:
- Reaching the age limit of another health insurance plan
- Loss of health insurance through a marriage or divorce
- Involuntary loss of coverage from another health insurance plan
(A qualifying event does not include seeking enrollment to gain access to a benefit that was exhausted under their current private insurance plan.)
If you have experienced a qualifying event and would like to enroll in SHP, log in to the Gallagher Student Health website [Cornell University student login] [Cornell Tech student login] and complete a "Petition to Add" form, found in the "Student Plan Information" section. Please submit the form directly to Gallagher.
Domestic students taking credits during the summer months are not automatically enrolled in SHP. International students who are not already enrolled will be enrolled automatically. Please see Cornell's health insurance requirements for summer students. After reviewing the requirements, refer to Summer SHP Enrollment if you wish to purchase SHP for the duration of your summer program.
Students enrolled in the 2020-2021 SHP plan year (August 1, 2020 – July 31, 2021) who go on a LOA mid-plan year may retain their SHP coverage through the end of the plan year (through July 31, 2021). Students who go on a LOA between May–July, 2021 may extend their coverage for three months into the next plan year (August 1 – October 31, 2021).
Please email us to learn how to extend your coverage.
Beginning during the 2020-2021 plan year, graduating students may extend their SHP coverage for three months into the next plan year (August 1 – October 31). Learn more about insurance options for students after graduation.