Cornell's Student Health Plan–Medicaid (SHP–M) provides health, dental, and vision coverage to eligible students for no annual fee.
Students enrolled in SHP-M are enrolled in two plans simultaneously: a Cornell student health plan administered by Aetna Student Health, and Fee-for-Service (aka "regular") Medicaid provided by the New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH).
Learn more under "plan highlights" below.
You are eligible to participate in SHP-M if you are:
- A full-time Cornell University undergraduate, professional, or self-paying graduate student studying on the Ithaca campus
- A New York State resident
- Enrolled in (or eligible for) Medicaid in New York State*
Dependents are not eligible to enroll in SHP-M.
- Has no annual fee / premium for students (the premium is fully covered by the NYSDOH)
- Has cost-shares (e.g., copays and coinsurance) resembling Medicaid (no charge for medical care, mental health care, and routine dental and vision care when seeing a participating provider)
- Fully meets (and exceeds) Cornell's health insurance requirements
- Provides coverage 24 hours a day, anywhere in the world
- Includes coverage in the national network with any Aetna participating provider (including Cornell Health)
- For students in Ithaca, provides coordination of services by Cornell Health and a preferred provider network that includes the local hospital
- Includes dental and vision benefits
- Covers pre-existing health conditions
- Guards against catastrophic expenses
- Meets or exceeds all F-1 and J-1 visa requirements
- Meets or exceeds all Federal, State, and American College Health Association standards for health insurance
- Exceeds the requirements of the U.S. Affordable Care Act
- Includes world-wide travel assistance and emergency air transportation services
- Provides convenient assistance with enrollment and claims submission through the Student Health Benefits
The enrollment period for 2017-2018 has concluded.
The first step to enrolling in SHP-M is to submit an interest form to Student Health Benefits. By submitting this form, you are authorizing Student Health Benefits to access your personal identifying information (including your name, date of birth, and social security number) and to send that information to the New York State Department of Health in order to verify your eligibility for Medicaid.
If you are found to be eligible, we will enroll you in SHP–M. Enrolling in SHP–M (administered by Aetna Student Health) will result in your disenrollment from your current Medicaid Managed Care plan. This may result in a change of in-network Medicaid providers.
Once enrolled, it will be your responsibility to keep your enrollment in Medicaid active. (Please refer to the interest form for more details.)
A note about financial aid
If you receive financial aid from Cornell, your award will be based upon the estimated cost of attendance, which – for 2018-2019 – includes $185 per semester toward "health-related costs." This $185/semester does NOT apply to students enrolled in SHP-M because you are not charged for your health insurance, and you do not pay the Student Health Fee. The Office of Financial Aid and Student Employment will revise your financial aid award to remove the aid for health-related expenses.
In the event that – prior to this grant aid revision – your award includes $185/semester for health-related costs, you will owe $185 back to your Bursar account. Please consult the Financial Aid Information for Newly Admitted Students for more information.
SHP-M contact information
If you would like to learn more about SHP-M, or would like to speak to someone about your eligibility, please contact us at 607-255-5467 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also come to our office in person. We are here to help.