Extending your SHP Coverage
Unless a student who graduates or leaves the University applies for an extension of coverage, health plan coverage automatically expires on the following dates:
- December graduates: Coverage expires January 31
- May graduates: Coverage expires July 31
- August graduates: Coverage expires August 31
- Students who withdraw from the University: 30 days after the date of institutional knowledge
* Date of institutional knowledge = the latter of the change in status effective date on record in the registrar data or the date which the change in status effective date is updated in PeopleSoft by the University Registrar. If an effective date is backdated, the date of institutional knowledge is the date the change in status is updated in PeopleSoft by the University Registrar.
Students may elect to purchase extended Student Health Plan (SHP) coverage for themselves and associated dependents for up to 90 days past the student’s plan expiration date (listed above).
The extension of SHP coverage is a one-time, non-renewable 3-months of SHP coverage.
Who is eligible for the extension of SHP
Extension of SHP coverage is available for students enrolled in SHP or SHP Plus coverage and have a change in eligibility due to:
- Graduation (Fall, Spring, or August)
- A University approved leave of absence effective date between April 1 and the end of the SHP plan year
- Withdrawal from Cornell
How to apply for an extension of coverage
Written notification AND receipt of payment for the extension must occur within 60 days of your plan expiration date. Failure to submit both items before the 61st day will result in a rescission of the extension back to the initial expiration date. Please note that there are no refunds on the extension once the extension term has begun. Please see the SHP certificate of coverage (“Extension of Coverage” information) for details.
To provide written notification for an extension:
- Log in to Gallagher Student Health with your Cornell NetID and password
- In the "Plan Details" tile (right-hand side), locate "Other Forms"
- Click "Other Forms" > "Plan Year 2020-2021"
- Select "Extension Enrollment Form”
- Complete the form
- Make the payment for the coverage as indicated on the form
Email the form along with proof of payment to: Quincy.BSD.enrollmentteam@AJG.com
Extensions of coverage are not bursar billable. Payment for the extension is can only be accepted through CUSHP's payment page using a debit or credit card as indicated on the extension enrollment form.
If you are not eligible for an extension, the extension of coverage will not be processed and any payment will be refunded.
Cancelling the SHP extension
The extension of SHP can be cancelled at any time.
No premium refund will be issued for cancellation requests after the start of the extension.
To request a cancellation of your SHP coverage extension, please submit a “Termination of Coverage” application through Gallagher Student Health, the manager of Cornell's SHP enrollment process.
- Log in to Gallagher Student Health using your Cornell NetID and password.
- In "Account Details" under "Plan Summary," click the "Terminate Coverage" link.
- Complete the termination form, choosing your appropriate termination reason.
- Some selections, like "alternate coverage," will prompt you to provide alternate insurance information.
- Submit the form.
Other insurance options
It is important to have health insurance that covers you wherever you will be living.
Some students may be starting employment or entering another academic program through which health insurance is provided. Additionally, U.S. students under the age of 26 would be eligible for coverage under a parent's insurance plan, as loss of SHP/SHP+ coverage is a qualifying life event allowing you to enroll in health insurance outside of the yearly open enrollment period.
Students for whom these options are not available should visit your state’s health exchange website to purchase insurance. To purchase health insurance on the exchange, graduates will need to provide proof of residency (e.g. a local address, prior-year tax information, and social security number).
Important: Health insurance purchased through the exchange CANNOT be secured in advance of the SHP/SHP+ plan end date. To purchase insurance via the exchange prior to July 31, you will need to cancel your SHP coverage (SHP+ members: please email us to cancel your coverage).
All plans on the exchange have tax credit eligibility depending on the applicant’s income. Some income thresholds will make the applicant eligible for a Medicaid or an Essential plan. Both of these plan types have the lowest cost-shares associated with the plan in recognition of the limited access to disposable income.
New York State residents:
If you plan to live in New York State after graduation, please note that New York State does not allow the purchase of short-term insurance plans on the exchange. (A short-term plan is a health plan for a limited number of months.)
If you are seeing insurance through nystateofhealth.ny.gov, you will need to enroll in a full-year plan.
If you gain employment after enrolling in a full-year plan, typically you will be eligible to enroll in the company’s group insurance policy and can cancel the health exchange plan. Alternatively, you may choose to retain your purchased plan and not opt into your employer group plan.
Please contact us.