Prescription medication can be costly, so it's important to know how to get the most from your health plan.
Here are three ways to learn more about what is covered under SHP:
- Online: Aetna provides extensive web information about pharmacy-related issues. Included in the left-hand navigation of their website is a “Preferred Drug List.” If you click on that list and select “3 Tier Open Formulary,” you can locate a specific prescription medication by either utilizing the “Medication Search” function or by reviewing the 3-Tier Aetna Preferred Drug Guide.
- By phone: You may also call Aetna Pharmacy Management 888-RX-AETNA or 888 792-3862 (available 24/7).
- At Cornell Health: If you plan to have prescriptions filled at the Cornell Health Pharmacy, you may talk with the pharmacy staff about how they can help you get the medications you need at the lowest cost.
Want to get your prescriptions by mail?
Aetna Specialty Pharmacy program for SHP members
The Aetna Specialty Care RxSM pharmacy benefits/insurance planis part of your prescription drug coverage. Benefits include:
- Free, secure delivery generally within 48 hours of confirming your order, or later if you want
- Delivery to your home, doctor’s office or any other place you choose
- Package tracking for prompt delivery
- Training to self-inject your medicine
- Flexible payment options for out-of-pocket costs, when necessary
- Free injection supplies, such as needles, syringes, alcohol swabs, adhesive bandages and Sharps containers for needle waste, if needed
The program requires you to fill certain specialty drugs through an in-network specialty pharmacy, like Aetna Specialty Pharmacy, in order to get the best coverage your plan allows. SHP members may get their first fill of a specialty drug through a standard pharmacy, but after that must obtain subsequent refills through Aetna Specialty CareRx.
For questions about whether a specific drug is included in this program, please consult the Aetna Specialty CareRX Drug Lists.
For questions about specialty pharmacy or your coverage under SHP, contact the Office of Student Health Benefits.
For questions about a prescription filled at Cornell Health, contact the Cornell Health Pharmacy.