Premium Refund Policy
There are a few situations in which Cornell's Student Health Plan (SHP) can be cancelled and the premium refunded:
- Any student withdrawing from Cornell University during the first 31 days of the period for which coverage is purchased (except for medical withdrawal due to a covered accident or sickness) shall not be covered under SHP and a full refund of the premium will be made (subject to claims check).
- Any SHP member who enters the armed forces (of any country) will not be covered under SHP as of the date of such entry. A prorated refund of premium will be made for such person, and any covered dependents, upon written request received by Aetna Student Health Claims Administrators, Inc. within 90 days of withdrawal from school.
- Students who apply and are approved for the Early Termination Option will receive a refund for part of the SHP premium. Learn more.
- SHP Members who provide written notice requesting termination:
- Cancelation will take effect at the end of the month during which the student provides written notice, unless a later date is requested.
- Refunds will be prorated monthly and a cancelation fee of $150 per canceled policy will apply. No refunds will be provided for cancelation requests made after April 30.
- Students requesting termination during the academic year must demonstrate that they have alternate coverage that meets Cornell’s requirements for adequate coverage.
- Students on the Ithaca Campus that cancel their coverage will be responsible for the Student Health Fee. The health fee will be prorated for the semester for students terminating in the spring.
Please contact our office for more information, or to request a premium refund.