Student Health Plan (SHP)
Cornell's Student Health Plan (SHP) provides extensive health insurance coverage at a reasonable cost to Cornell undergraduate, graduate, and professional students, and their dependents.
Administered by Aetna Student Health, SHP was developed especially for Cornell students to provide access to convenient and comprehensive care on Cornell's Ithaca campus, in New York City, and anywhere else you might live, study, or travel.
Highlights of Cornell's Student Health Plan (SHP)
- Provides extensive coverage at a reasonable cost for most on- or
off-campus health care
- Provides coverage 24 hours a day, anywhere in the world
- New for 2017-2018: Includes 90% coverage in the national network with any Aetna participating provider
- For students in Ithaca, provides coordination of services by Cornell Health and a preferred provider network that includes the local hospital
- Covers pre-existing health conditions
- Guards against catastrophic expenses
- Continues coverage when students have to take a leave of absence
- Meets or exceeds all F-1 and J-1 visa requirements
- Meets or exceeds all Federal, State, and American College Health Association standards for health insurance [view SHP vs NY Exchange price and coverage comparison (pdf)]
- Exceeds the requirements of the U.S. Affordable Care Act (health care reform law)
- Includes world-wide travel assistance and emergency air transportation services
- Offers optional dental and vision plans
- Provides convenient assistance with enrollment and claims submission through the Office of Student Health Benefits
2017-2018 plan information
Coverage dates: August 1, 2017 – July 31, 2018
Rates: Visit our Rates page
- SHP Summary of Benefits and Coverage (PDF) - 6-page chart explaining your SHP benefits
- SHP Certificate of Coverage (PDF) - 115-page document with complete details about SHP
How to enroll
All full-time registered Cornell students (as defined and reported by the University Registrar) are automatically enrolled in Cornell's Student Health Plan (SHP)* each year. Eligible students may request to waive their automatic enrollment. Students who are not automatically enrolled may choose to enroll in SHP. Learn more in our Enroll or Waive section.
*Some students may be eligible for SHP-Medicaid. Learn more here.
2016-2017 plan information
Coverage dates: August 17, 2016 – July 31, 2017*
*Note: the 2016-2017 plan term is 11.5 months instead of 12 months to allow for a shift to an August 1 - July 31 plan term in 2017-2018.
Rates: Visit our Rates page
- SHP Summary of Benefits and Coverage (PDF) - 8-page chart explaining your SHP benefits*
- SHP Certificate of Coverage (PDF) - 100+ page document with complete details about SHP*
* "Cornell Health" is the new name for Cornell's health services, referred to as "Gannett Health Services" in these documents.
Visit our Using SHP section to learn how to use your plan in Ithaca, New York City, or anywhere else you might live, study, or travel.
Please contact Cornell's Office of Student Health Benefits.