Student Health Plan–Medicaid (SHP–M)
Cornell's Student Health Plan–Medicaid (SHP–M) is offered in lieu of Medicaid – and in partnership with the New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH) – to improve access to affordable health insurance for eligible Cornell students.
The plan was designed specifically Cornell undergraduate, professional, and self-paying graduate students who are enrolled in a New York State Medicaid plan.
- Has no annual fee for students (the premium is fully covered by the NYSDOH)
- Has cost-shares (e.g., copays and coinsurance) resembling Medicaid
- Offers all the features of the Cornell Student Health Plan (SHP)*
- Fully meets (and exceeds) Cornell's health insurance requirements
*NOTE: SHP–M is a separate and distinct plan from the "regular" Student Health Plan (SHP).
For more details, refer to "plan information" below.
You are eligible to participate in this program if you are:
- A Cornell University undergraduate, professional, or self-paying graduate student studying on the Ithaca campus
- A New York State resident
- Enrolled in (or eligible for) Medicaid in New York State*
2016-2017 plan information
The 2016-2017 SHP-M plan term starts on August 1, 2016 and ends July 31, 2017.
- Review the 2-page SHP–M Overview (pdf) for an introduction to the plan*
- Refer to the 100+ page SHP–M Certificate of Coverage (pdf) for complete details about SHP–M*
* "Cornell Health" is the new name for Cornell's health services, referred to as "Gannett Health Services" in these documents.
2017-2018 plan information
The 2017-2018 SHP-M plan term starts on August 1, 2017 and ends July 31, 2018. Details about the plan will be posted in early May.
If you are interested in enrolling, please see the "Enrollment" section below.
Please note: Submitting an interest form does NOT guarantee that will be enrolled in SHP-M, so you must still complete the standard SHP waiver process.
- By submitting this form, you are authorizing the Office of Student Health Benefits to access your personal identifying information (including my name, date of birth, and social security number) and to send that information to the New York State Department of Health in order to verify your eligibility for Medicaid.
- If you are found to be eligible, the Office of Student Health Benefits will enroll you in SHP–M. Enrolling in SHP–M (administered by Aetna Student Health) will result in your disenrollment from your current Medicaid Managed Care plan. This may result in a change of in-network Medicaid providers.
- Once enrolled, it will be your responsibility to keep your enrollment in Medicaid active. (Please refer to the interest form for more details.)
Already enrolled in SHP-M?
Please refer to our Welcome to SHP–M page.
If you would like to learn more about this program, or would like to speak to someone about your eligibility, please contact Cornell's Office of Student Health Benefits:
Phone: 607 255-5467
Cornell expands health care access for New York students
Cornell Chronicle, May 26, 2016