Summer students are not automatically enrolled in Cornell's Student Health Plan (SHP), as academic-year students are. Please scroll down for information about optional summer enrollment.
Summer Student Health Fee
The University assesses a $100 summer student health fee for students studying in Ithaca during the summer term (with some exceptions). This rule helps ensure that summer students have access to campus health services – regardless of what health insurance they have.
Student Health Plan (SHP) summer enrollment – optional
Although the summer student health fee supports access to care on campus, we recommend that you carefully review your health insurance before coming to Cornell to make sure it meets Cornell’s minimum requirements and provides adequate coverage in the Ithaca area.
If you do not have adequate health insurance, you may be eligible for the summer SHP enrollment option. (Students who enroll in SHP do NOT pay the summer student health fee.)
SHP is an accident and sickness policy that:
- Provides coverage 24 hours a day anywhere in the world
- For students in Ithaca, provides coordination of services by Cornell Health and a preferred provider network that includes the local hospital
- Covers pre-existing health conditions
- Guards against catastrophic expenses
- Continues coverage when students have to take a leave of absence
- Meets or exceeds all F-1 and J-1 visa requirements
- Meets or exceeds all Federal, State, and American College Health Association standards for health insurance
- Includes world-wide travel assistance and emergency air transportation services
- Offers optional dental and vision plans for members. Provides convenient assistance with enrollment and claims submission through the Cornell Office of Student Health Benefits
For complete details, please visit the Student Health Plan (SHP) section of this website.
SHP premium: Summer 2017
|Two-week (Robotics) session||July 2 – 15||$223.00|
|Three-week session I||June 24 - July 15||$445.00|
|Three-week session II||July 16 - August 5||$445.00|
| Five-week session||July 2 – August 5||$445.00|
| Six-week session||June 24 - August 8||$668.00|
|Architecture/RABS||June 24 - August 5||$668.00|
NOTE: Students who enroll in SHP will not be responsible for the student health fee.
If you want to enroll in SHP ...
To enroll in SHP – or to get assistance in evaluating your insurance needs and options – please contact us by Thursday, May 25, 2017. We are eager to help.
Please note that you will not be permitted
to enroll in SHP once your program has begun.