Student Health Plan (SHP)
Each year, all full-time registered students are automatically enrolled in Cornell's Student Health Plan (SHP). (Note: some students may be eligible for Cornell's Student Health Plan–Medicaid (SHP-M).)
If you have alternate health insurance that meets Cornell's requirements, you may apply to waive your 2017-2018 SHP enrollment coverage by July 31, 2017 (Exceptions: not available to international students or fully-funded graduate students.)
> Want to STAY ENROLLED in SHP?
Your SHP coverage begins on August 1, 2017, and ends July 31, 2018. The premium is posted to your July 2017 Bursar bill.
> Want to WAIVE your SHP enrollment?
The deadline to submit a waiver application online was July 31. Still want to waive? Late waiver applications may be accepted through August 31, with a $100 late fee. Learn more here.
You will be asked to submit information about your alternate health insurance plan. First, please carefully review any plan you have or are considering to make sure that it:
- meets Cornell’s requirements
- compares well to Cornell’s Student Health Plan (SHP), which was designed specifically for Cornell students (compare your coverage here)
- has in-network providers in Ithaca, or wherever you expect to spend most of the year (review a list of Ithaca-area health care providers to determine whether any participate in the plan: Ithaca-Area Yellow Pages; Cayuga Medical Center's Physician Finder)
- has out-of-network coverage that will protect you no matter where you might travel
- has a low enough deductible or co-payments so you won’t be discouraged from seeking timely and appropriate health care
Student Health Fee:
Students in Ithaca whose waivers are approved pay a student health fee ($179/semester), which gives them access to nearly all Cornell Health services for a $10 copay, and helps support campus health programs.
Optional Dental & Vision Plans:
|June 1, 2017||Waiver application period begins|
|July 7, 2017||Waive by this date to avoid being charged for SHP on July 14.|
|July 14, 2017||The SHP premium will appear on your July Bursar bill/CASHNet statement
Ithaca students: if your waiver is approved before July 14, you will see a $179 fall-semester health fee charge instead.
|July 31, 2017||Waiver application deadline|
If your waiver is approved, you will see a credit for the SHP premium on your Bursar bill/CASHNet statement. Ithaca students will also see a $179 fall-semester health fee charge.
|August 1, 2017||SHP coverage begins for 2017-2018 (ends July 31, 2018)|
|September 30, 2017
||Enrollment deadline for Cornell’s optional dental and vision plans
If you do not submit a waiver, or if your waiver is denied, you must remain enrolled in SHP and will be responsible for paying the SHP premium.
Late waiver submissions & premium refunds
If you want to waive after the July 31 deadline, please contact the Student Health Benefits office at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a late waiver application. A $100 late fee will be charged for waiver applications received after July 31.
NOTE: If you use any of your SHP benefits (beginning August 1) before your waiver is approved, you must remain enrolled in SHP and you will be responsible for paying the SHP premium.
Waiver applications will not be accepted after August 31. If you wish to cancel your enrollment in SHP after that date, please refer to the Premium Refund Policy.
Premium refund policy
There are only a few situations in which SHP can be canceled and the premium refunded. If claims from any provider have been submitted and paid for any period, no refund can be provided under any circumstances. Take the time now to learn more.
Questions? Need assistance?
- For general questions about Cornell's requirements, the SHP enrollment / waiver processes, or the student health fee, please contact Cornell’s Office of Student Health Benefits.
- For details about SHP's benefits, refer to the plan documents found on the Student Health Plan (SHP) page.
- For specific SHP-related questions and concerns, please contact Aetna Student Health Claims Administrators, Inc.