2017-2018 information will be posted in late April/early May
SPRING 2017 COVERAGE
For new domestic (U.S.) undergraduate, graduate, and professional students
Student Health Plan (SHP)
All full-time registered students are automatically enrolled each year in Cornell's Student Health Plan (SHP).
If you have alternate health insurance that meets Cornell's requirements, you may apply to waive your Spring 2017 SHP coverage between December 1 & 31, 2016 (Exceptions: not available to fully-funded graduate students; not required for SHP-M enrollees).
See “Annual SHP Enrollment / Waiver Process” below for complete details.
Optional Dental & Vision Plans
Spring 2016 SHP Enrollment / Waiver Process
> Want to STAY ENROLLED in SHP?
You are automatically enrolled in SHP (see above), so you don't have to do anything except print your ID card and learn how to use your plan. (If you want to stop receiving reminders about the upcoming waiver deadline, you may confirm your enrollment by logging in here.) Your SHP coverage will begin on January 1, 2017, and will end July 31, 2017. The premium will be posted to your December Bursar bill.
> Want to WAIVE your SHP enrollment?
The deadline to submit a waiver application was December 31, 2016. Please contact our office if you have any questions.
(Not available to fully-funded graduate students; Not required for SHP-M enrollees)
You will be asked to submit information about your alternate health insurance plan. First, please carefully review any plan you have or are considering to make sure that it:
- meets Cornell’s requirements
- compares well to Cornell’s Student Health Plan (SHP), which was designed specifically for Cornell students (compare your coverage here)
- has in-network providers in Ithaca, or wherever you expect to spend most of the year (review a list of Ithaca-area health care providers to determine whether any participate in the plan: Ithaca-Area Yellow Pages; Cayuga Medical Center's Physician Finder)
- has out-of-network coverage that will protect you no matter where you might travel
- has a low enough deductible or co-payments so you won’t be discouraged from seeking timely and appropriate health care
Student Health Fee:
Students in Ithaca whose waivers are approved pay a student health fee ($175/semester), which gives them access to most Gannett services for a $10 copay, and helps support campus health programs.
|December 1, 2016||Waiver application period begins|
|December 8, 2016||The SHP premium will appear on your December Bursar bill/CASHNet statement
Ithaca students: if your waiver is approved before December 8, you will see a $175 fall-semester health fee charge instead.
|December 31, 2016||Waiver application deadline|
If your waiver is approved after December 8, you will see a credit for the SHP premium on your Bursar bill/CASHNet statement. Ithaca students will also see a $175 fall-semester health fee charge.
|January 1, 2017||SHP coverage begins for Spring 2017 starts (ends July 31, 2017)|
|January 31, 2017
||Enrollment deadline for Cornell’s optional dental and vision plans
If you do not submit a waiver, or if your waiver is denied, you must remain enrolled in SHP and will be responsible for paying the SHP premium.
Late waiver information
If you want to waive after the January 31 deadline, please contact the Student Health Benefits office at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a late waiver application.
NOTE: If you use any of your SHP benefits (beginning January 1) before your waiver is approved, you must remain enrolled in SHP and will be responsible for paying the SHP premium.
Late fee: A $50 late fee will be charged for waiver applications received between January 1 and January 31.
Waiver applications will not be accepted after January 31. If you wish to cancel your enrollment in SHP after that date, please refer to the Premium Refund Policy.
Premium refund policy
There are only a few situations in which SHP can be canceled and the premium refunded. If claims from any provider have been submitted and paid for any period, no refund can be provided under any circumstances. Take the time now to learn more.
Questions? Need assistance?
- For general questions about Cornell's requirements, the SHP enrollment / waiver processes, or the student health fee, please contact Cornell’s Office of Student Health Benefits.
- For details about SHP's benefits, refer to the plan documents found on the Student Health Plan (SHP) page.
- For specific SHP-related questions and concerns, please contact Aetna Student Health Claims Administrators, Inc.