Automatic SHP Enrollment
As part of Cornell's policy requiring students to have adequate health insurance, all full-time registered Cornell students* (as defined and reported by the University Registrar) are automatically enrolled in Cornell's Student Health Plan (SHP) each year.
SHP was designed specifically for Cornell students, and their dependents. Its many benefits meet or exceed Cornell's health insurance requirements, offering comprehensive coverage on campus, in Ithaca, and anywhere in the world. Learn more.
To stay enrolled in SHP
To stay enrolled in SHP, you don't have to do anything except print your ID card and learn how to use your plan. Your 2016-2017 coverage will begin on August 17, 2016. You will be responsible for paying the premium that appears on your July bursar bill. Learn more.
- SHP is the only health insurance plan designed by Cornellians specifically for Cornellians.
- SHP is administered on campus; and by utilizing Gannett Health Services providers (specialists in student health care) for primary and preventive care, costs are kept as low as possible.
- SHP has very low out-of-pocket expenses, with no annual deductible for in-network care. (Plans with high deductibles create initial expenses that can make students reluctant or financially unable to receive services when they need them most.)
- SHP members have comprehensive coverage in Ithaca, and at a nationwide network of hospitals, clinics, and specialized medical services. (Many insurance plans have narrow provider networks, and limit out of area coverage to emergency room care.)
- SHP also includes world-wide travel assistance and emergency air transportation services, as well as medical evacuation and repatriation coverage.
Requests to waive SHP
Eligible students who can demonstrate that they have alternate health insurance that meets Cornell's criteria may request to waive or appeal the requirement to enroll in SHP. Students whose waiver/appeal applications are accepted are charged a student health fee to support access to health services on campus.
Learn about this annual process at Enroll or Waive.