SHP for Dependents
Cornell's Student Health Plan (SHP) (formerly known as the Student Health Insurance Plan, or SHIP) provides health care coverage and protection against unexpected health care expenses for the enrolled dependents of Cornell students.
If you are enrolled in SHP, you may also enroll your:
Lawful spouse/domestic partner
- Domestic students: the relationship must be documented by a domestic partner certificate, civil union certificate, or marriage license.
- International students: the relationship must be documented by a copy of the dependent's visa (showing arrival date into the United States) and either a marriage license or a form documenting household register.
- Includes biological children, stepchildren, and foster children up to age 29, who are not self-supporting, and who reside with you (or for whom you are court-ordered to provide insurance).
- A birth certificate for each child must be provided.
Dependents are not automatically enrolled. If you wish to enroll your dependent(s), please contact the Office of Student Health Benefits to fill out the necessary forms and arrange for premium payments. You must do this each year you wish to enroll dependent(s).
- For students enrolling in the fall semester: September 30
- For students entering Cornell for the spring semester: February 28
- Late registrants: within 30 days of registration
If you have a dependent who experiences a significant life change that directly affects his or her insurance coverage (such as a loss of coverage from a prior plan, marriage, divorce, or reasons beyond a person’s control), the deadline to enroll in SHP is 31 days after the significant life-changing event.
Please visit our SHP rates page.
Premiums for dependents may be paid all at once or monthly.
Other Health Insurance Options
While SHP is an excellent choice for many dependents, there are also some newly-available, affordable options for dependent coverage through the state health insurance exchange. For example, Child Health Plus, a New York State program for children, offers coverage with low monthly premiums for those who qualify.
Student Health Benefits staff members can help you review your options and select the best coverage to fit your family's needs. We invite you to call us as 607 255-6363, email us, or visit us at our Collegetown office.
You may also contact the Human Services Coalition of Tompkins County for information about private insurance options in the Ithaca area.
Dental & Vision Plans
If you enroll in Cornell's dental and/or vision plans, you may also choose to enroll dependents. NOTE: while all students may enroll in dental and vision coverage, regardless of their insurance, dependents may only enroll if they are enrolled in SHP. Learn more at Dental Plan and Vision Plan.